Skip to main content

The World Book Day disaster and the musings of a failing mother, a letter to my son.


Elijah,

You’re upstairs asleep, I am downstairs crying. You should be at nursery, but we didn’t even make it out of the house.

I couldn’t handle you, the situation, I feel like I have failed you. That I failed as a mother, and not for the first time.

There have been times in our crazy two years I have broken down and cried, out of happiness, fear, frustration, you name it, as your mother I have felt it. Even more so as our journey wasn’t so textbook, kiddo.

As much as I want to admit you are a normal little boy, with what you have been through in your short life, you are not. Things took their toll on us as parents, but they also left their mark on you too.

I know there are a lot of changes going on around you, and some you may not fully understand.

In a few months, you will become a big brother, but it is beginning to dawn on me this may be more than you can handle.

For a while you have been acting out, getting emotional, we put this down to the terrible twos, but is it more?

For two years, you have been the centre of our world, and then some.

Going through what you did we let you get away with more. Even now, I probably let you eat too many sweets, stay up too late now and again and let things slide way to easily.

Since being pregnant with your brother or sister I will happily take the easy route, and do anything for a quiet life.

I have devoted so much time to you, just you, but maybe it wasn’t enough. Maybe, I did it wrong?

I know I am emotional, impatient and can shout, I guess I know where you get it from.

Sometimes, I do not handle things the way I should, that a mother should. But, I am trying my best for you, I really am.

It can go too far, and sometimes I just have leave.

I am the idiot who spent yesterday afternoon looking for twigs that would go with your World Book Day outfit. Spent last night reading the book to you, teaching you what to say. But, now the outfit lays crumpled on the floor as you didn’t want to wear it. You didn’t want to go to nursery. You said you didn’t like it anymore, you wanted to be at home. You refused to do anything, to even move.

You were sitting hyperventilating on the floor, and I was pushed to the brink. The only way to calm you down was to say you were not going in today.

I had to call the nursery and explain, and I felt ashamed, embarrassed, a failure.

It wasn’t just like when you are being difficult, this was different.

You screamed, you kicked, you basically went insane.

In hindsight, you have been emotional for days, and you were so tired this morning but I have never seen you act like this.

We sat hugging on the floor and I could feel your fast breathing against my chest, the small squeaks escaping from you as you tried to calm down.

I laid you in bed and went downstairs. The tears began to come from me before I had even reached the bottom.

As your mother, I am the grown up, the one who is responsible for you.

I guess you won, you didn’t want to go to nursery, and you didn’t, I had to calm you down.  I had to make sure you didn’t hurt me in a way that was dangerous to the baby.

I feel like I failed you, that I couldn’t just get you in the outfit and out the door. Just like how I haven’t cracked potty training with you, or had the heart to take your dummy off you. I know these things don’t matter, and most days they don’t bother me either, but hay I am down the self-pity road now, may as well make the whole trip.

I know I make a stupid amount of fuss, time and money on celebrating Valentine’s Day, Easter, Halloween, even bloody dress up days at nursery. I want you to know I cared, that I was there for these things, that I tried.

You are such a kind, helpful and thoughtful little boy, you can also be nasty, stingy and difficult and a major pain in the arse.

There are days I cannot see how we will make it to bedtime, but we will. We always do, it just takes a lot of clock watching and tongue biting to get there.

These are the stark reality days of being parent, when all I want to do is pack up and go. I don’t and I never will, then suddenly something will be said or done and you will make me laugh.

I looked in your room, you're asleep cuddling my bobble hat. You call it your snuggy and you like it because it smells like me. I have to put perfume on it for you.

You look peaceful, innocent as if this afternoon never happened. You have forgotten it all.

I wish I could have, but I sit analysing everything, Googling how to control wayward behaviour, What’s Apping everyone and scrolling through all the kids who did put their World Book Day outfits on and realising you are missing out.

There are days I thrive being your mother, it is the best feeling in the world, and I want to breathe in all of you, all of the time, watch every little thing you do.

Then there are days like today I feel like crap. A failure.

I mean who has a bloody breakdown on getting their two-year-old into a wolf outfit and out the house to the nursery he has gone to every week for the last two years? Me.

Yes, I am pregnant, yes, I am hormonal, but I am human too.

I am hard on myself, but only as I want the best for you. That’s what us parents do you see.

This is something that in the great scheme of the last two years that is so insignificant it does not really register on the radar. But right in this moment it feels like the biggest thing in the world.

Sometimes with great smugness I feel like I have a handle on it, sometimes it goes wrong and you cannot do anything but say f**k it, have a gin and laugh about it. Other times I can get myself in such a state I would be a psychologists’ dream.

Why did I share this? To make you feel bad when you are older? Guilty? To get sympathy? No.

Because motherhood isn’t all Instagram filters and smiles. It is rough. Nights are tough and days are even tougher. Sometimes it is the smallest things that feel like the biggest to some. We should be honest and never suffer in silence.

Being you mother, it is good, it is bad, it is most certainly ugly.

Today I felt like crap kid, I am sure you did too.

But, tomorrow is another day and I am still your mother and I love you.

Always x

Motherhood isn't always full of the picture moments
 
 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Elijah, on your fourth heart day

Elijah the heart hero never letting anything stop him. Today  is your 4th heart day. It's 4 years since we took you down to Great Ormond Street for open heart surgery. It seems to have crept up on us again. Another whole year has passed but it hasn't changed how I feel about that day. Some have said that oh, by now surely you should have gotten over it after all it's been 4 years. The answer is I don't think I ever will. I have been thinking a lot about that day, where I signed the consent forms for them to take you and operate on you. To either save or take your life. That day was the worst of my life, the unknown certainty of whether you would come back up again. I held you as they put you to sleep. They gave me your dummy as they took you from me and laid you on the operating table as if you weighed nothing. I couldn't even kiss you goodbye in case it was the last time. That's why I won't ever get over it and those who have been in the

The time Fajita night resulted in having a baby in a bath.

The newest Cockerill Do you all remember my ever so optimistic natural birth plan? You can read it here. However, spoiler alert, it didn’t happen. What did happen was something no one was expecting. Wednesday the 5 th July… a mundane sort of day spent cleaning the house and doing the weekly shop. With Greg going back to work the next day I was determined to make sure everything was ready for when this baby arrived! I was three days off my due date and still hadn’t had one single sign this baby was imminently coming. I had been receiving messages from quite a few people asking if baby was here yet. I was getting fed up as everything I had tried to induce labour failed miserably and every morning for the last two weeks I woke up disappointed I wasn’t in labour! I gave up, walking didn’t help, pineapple made me sick and I was beginning to tire of the raspberry leaf tea. This baby was staying put. In the evening I put Elijah bed, and we began to settle down for the eveni

The one with Elijah's heart surgery.

We were back. April 22-28 2015, a year ago this weekend. In just two short weeks since we last went down to London. We had to go down the day before and check in and have another blood test. As all of the forms had been signed last time, we were out again within an hour or so. Back to the same family accommodation, in a different room and with a lot less luggage. Something felt different this time, although I didn't want to believe it was going ahead in the event it was cancelled again, deep down I knew it would be. The morning of the surgery I knew how I would feel as we had been through this all before. I didn't want to go out for a meal so we ate in the hotel room watching ch5 rubbish after Elijah went down in the travel cot. Its odd that through the whole pre admission, cancelled op and the actual operation I can remember what shit we watched on TV and what we ate for tea that night. One of those weird things that just sticks in your head. Sort of like when you rememb