Skip to main content

Goodbye, Old Friend,


In my 26 years there has been many a time, I have been depressed. Looking back to my teenage years it was due to not being able to cope with rejection, loss and not feeling I belonged. As I grew older, it was just like an old friend, every now and again when you least expected it, there it was rearing its ugly head and dragging me back. I think at times I had even become dependent on my depression, I expected it to be there, and if it did go away it wouldn’t be long before it returned. I guess, I am one of those people, I think too much, I worry more, and suffer from a lot of self-doubt. I basically I attract depression and melancholy. Sometimes, like an old friend, you may just bump into them, and it will be a quick catch up and the depression is again on its away. However, there are times where we can have a full blown reunion.

This will lead to a trip to the doctors, and my other very good friend, the trusty anti-depressant is prescribed. The chemicals re align in my brain, I work some stuff out and I keep my repeat prescription close to me. After the counselling and CBT doesn’t work again. This is what happened, as many you have known when Elijah was born, and had his surgery. I had never experienced depression like this. It consumed me, it literally took over every aspect of my life. I became the depression; it took everything from me. Until one day I looked at my family, and realized yeah, we had it rough but it could have been worse. Elijah taught me a lot and my outlook on life changed. I gained a confidence and self-belief that never existed before I became a mother. I was going to beat this. I was going to me. The depression was not who I was, it took a very long time to realize that actually it is not a part of who I am. I wanted to be an amazing mother to Elijah and this was not going to affect him anymore. It is one thing when something that is causing you pain, but when you are beginning to cause your family pain, I think it’s time to swallow it, and make the very uncomfortable admission you need help.

Even after I tried to take my own life when I was a teenager and ended up in hospital scaring my Nan and Uncle half to death I didn’t admit I needed help. I tried to change, and went cold turkey of my tablets and read a lot a books about Hinduism and baked. Good lord I baked. It was only after snapping at Elijah and seeing the look on his face I knew I needed help. What mother was I being when we stayed in all the time, when I was irritable or crying, and not actually wanting to be there with my son? So, off I went to the doctors, and like a trusty companion, the medication was back in my life. This time instead of relying on the tablets to do everything, I worked on myself. I wrote everything I had ever felt during the first 18 months of Elijah’s life and for the very first time, I acknowledged, accepted and processed what I was feeling. I could feel the depression shrinking away inside of me, I was getting stronger, and it was getting smaller.

Can I cope without my trusty companions?
I have been very happy for a good 6 months so it came the time, after a good love affair to say goodbye to my nearest and dearest the anti-depressant. I again became to rely on them, but I had to know if I could do this on my own. I felt like they were part of me. They felt alien in the new all natural and healthy me. If we had another baby, I didn’t want to be on them. As it would once again affect my family. When people asked me how I was, and I said good, I didn’t want to think of it as lying to them and hiding my dirty little secret. I didn’t want to feel guilty after I said, yes I am fine thank you, but actually I am on anti-depressants so I guess I am not completely fine. I wanted to be honest, I wanted to be real, and most of all I wanted to be me. I had to know that I had beaten this. I was officially over it. That was only going to happen when I stopped the tablets.  I knew after a year of being on them I couldn’t just quit them like I did before. I began to cut down, and after three weeks I am now off them. It was over right? Or was it?

Last night came the knock out the door, when I answered it was self-doubt again, feelings of failure and feeling down. I had a complete crash of confidence, could I do this without them? Had I really beaten this? I also had become disinterested in my blog. For three days I barely looked at it, I wrote nothing when normally I write every day. I am behind on projects, am I doing the right thing? Is the store working out? Is there any point to it? After shutting off my phone and taking stock of things, I didn’t do anything. I distanced myself from it all, as not to do anything rash.

When I woke up, I felt so different. I felt that the knock at the door last night was a wobble, and that house guest has been evicted and will not be lingering to out stay his welcome. I had beaten this, and there will be many more wobbles but I will overcome them. There will be no more reunions with my old friend; depression. Why? Because I am so over our friendship. Like any toxic friendship, I have terminated ours.

These words after hearing them today, seemed especially poignant, by the downright amazing Young Guns, ‘I was born, I will live, I will surely die’.
 
There's no doubt you can yourself out if you want to
Don't turn away, don't be shy, you've got questions so do I
Every day is a chance to change the story
Don't run away, take a shot, give it everything you've got
Without pain, tell me what's the point in glory?
 
 
 
Similar NICU MUM posts;
 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Elijah, on your fourth heart day

Elijah the heart hero never letting anything stop him. Today  is your 4th heart day. It's 4 years since we took you down to Great Ormond Street for open heart surgery. It seems to have crept up on us again. Another whole year has passed but it hasn't changed how I feel about that day. Some have said that oh, by now surely you should have gotten over it after all it's been 4 years. The answer is I don't think I ever will. I have been thinking a lot about that day, where I signed the consent forms for them to take you and operate on you. To either save or take your life. That day was the worst of my life, the unknown certainty of whether you would come back up again. I held you as they put you to sleep. They gave me your dummy as they took you from me and laid you on the operating table as if you weighed nothing. I couldn't even kiss you goodbye in case it was the last time. That's why I won't ever get over it and those who have been in the

The time Fajita night resulted in having a baby in a bath.

The newest Cockerill Do you all remember my ever so optimistic natural birth plan? You can read it here. However, spoiler alert, it didn’t happen. What did happen was something no one was expecting. Wednesday the 5 th July… a mundane sort of day spent cleaning the house and doing the weekly shop. With Greg going back to work the next day I was determined to make sure everything was ready for when this baby arrived! I was three days off my due date and still hadn’t had one single sign this baby was imminently coming. I had been receiving messages from quite a few people asking if baby was here yet. I was getting fed up as everything I had tried to induce labour failed miserably and every morning for the last two weeks I woke up disappointed I wasn’t in labour! I gave up, walking didn’t help, pineapple made me sick and I was beginning to tire of the raspberry leaf tea. This baby was staying put. In the evening I put Elijah bed, and we began to settle down for the eveni

The one with Elijah's heart surgery.

We were back. April 22-28 2015, a year ago this weekend. In just two short weeks since we last went down to London. We had to go down the day before and check in and have another blood test. As all of the forms had been signed last time, we were out again within an hour or so. Back to the same family accommodation, in a different room and with a lot less luggage. Something felt different this time, although I didn't want to believe it was going ahead in the event it was cancelled again, deep down I knew it would be. The morning of the surgery I knew how I would feel as we had been through this all before. I didn't want to go out for a meal so we ate in the hotel room watching ch5 rubbish after Elijah went down in the travel cot. Its odd that through the whole pre admission, cancelled op and the actual operation I can remember what shit we watched on TV and what we ate for tea that night. One of those weird things that just sticks in your head. Sort of like when you rememb