Skip to main content

Mummy and Nina for #PNDAW16

There is one lady Nina (Mummy and Nina), I look at and think she is beautiful. She is immaculate in the way she presents herself.  So, when I asked her to write a piece for the #PNDAW16 I was shocked at the topic she chose. I was shocked that someone as beautiful inside and out as her could go through this period of struggle. It just shows everyone faces their own battles no matter what they are.
 
I always thought being pregnant I wouldn't cope with the weight gain after having an eating disorder, but in fact I embraced it. When we left the hospital, I then gave up on my appearance. Unwashed hair, wearing Greg's clothes hiding my weight loss as I wasn't eating and tucking my mum tum in my leggings (I still do this!). We should never be made to feel we are not good enough, not thin enough, not pretty enough, you are enough, unwashed hair and all. Take away the filters, the glossy mags, the amazing foundation that will make you perfect and we are all the same coffee induced, sleep deprived parents that are wanting that extra bar of Galaxy when we are sitting in our PJs without our bras. 
 
We are enough. We are perfect. Never forget it. Never let anyone or anything tell you otherwise- NICU MUM X
 
Appearance
 
I never really thought much of the glossies. It was my greater love for food rather than gossip that prevented that relationship flourishing. 

I will begrudgingly admit that I had a short stint with Sabrina's Secrets and part way through a car journey to Newcastle, I bought a single issue of Sugar - the Blazin' Squad edition (the shame). 
 
It wasn't the 'Juicy Details' headline that got me; it was the step-by-step guide on how to do a topsy turvy ponytail. That, and how to turn old trousers into statement shorts; with the help of scissors, felt squares and fabric glue. We're talking pre-YouTube era and any Saved By the Bell episode will have you remembering why shorts were a thing - don't judge. 
 
The nod to fashion was subtle back then. It was more along the make-your-own-space and less of the this-is-the-space tangent. An underlying 'feel your vibe and dance like no one is watching' ethos. If a felt circle is what you want on your left butt cheek, then a felt circle is what you shall have. Maybe even add some matching beads in your hair. 
 
So you can imagine my shock when I walked into Waterstone's last week and saw a dedicated section to body image and the teenage mind. I've always known it's an issue. But for that moment I had realised that someone out there felt ugly and for once I knew how they felt. 
 
I personally struggled with my body image after both of my children. I have always been a fan of a good 80's gym so working out was never the issue. But this went beyond the mirror. I felt ugly. Mental, physical and emotional ugliness galvanised in centimetre thick incompetence at providing basic needs for my children. 

All I saw was imperfection upon imperfection. Why hasn't my 3 year old mastered the alphabet in English, Spanish and Japanese? Why did my child tell the Postman to Foxtrot Oscar? And why isn't my home like a Next catalog? I bought all the damn cushions. 

When I was a teenager I was more worried about whether I had the complete scented gel pen collection; not a complete lip contouring kit. What are we doing to our children? When I say we, I mean the journalistic scum that will sell their mother for a slice of the front page. The bullies that humiliate the rich and famous in an attention seeking hope of at least one viral post. Just stop.
 
 
This isn't open fire on journalism. Happinez Magazine is a good tingle for the ol' neurons. Their 'good vibes only' attitude churns out content to uplift rather than break down - Mr. Murdoch, it can be done. My point isn't to name and shame the mass media. My point is this: if our teenagers are unsure of their body image, what will having a child do to them? You need to have an idea of self worth 'before someone breaks in and rearranges the furniture.' (@toomuchmotheringinformation).

Who is perfect? Everyone. Everyone is perfect; rearranged or not. So can we please stop showing fake people in magazines and start showing real people? 

For every lipstick sold behind filters and photoshop, one person breaks for not being good enough. Is that ok? 
 
I'd like to chisel a bit off here, tighten a bit there and completely erase certain parts, but to the outsider do they really notice? Sure there are keyboard bashing bullies. But honey, I've been called enough names in the playground about my nose for you to have anything new to say to me. And that journey is a long one.  
 
So whoever you are, you are beautiful. If you don't think it, I certainly do. 
 
But one thing is for sure: don't let anyone tell you how big your waist should be. 
 
Or your lips for that matter. 
 
We don't need more Kardashians; we need you. 
 
If you would like to donate to PANDAS (Pre & Post Natal Depression Advice and Support) to help them support sufferers of perinatal mental illnesses please text PANDAS £3, £5 or £10 to 70660 or visit their website for further information and support. (Texts cost donation amount plus
 network charge. PANDAS Foundation receives 100% of your donation. Obtain bill
 payer's permission. Customer care 01691 664275 Charity No 1149485.)
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Elijah, on your fourth heart day

Elijah the heart hero never letting anything stop him. Today  is your 4th heart day. It's 4 years since we took you down to Great Ormond Street for open heart surgery. It seems to have crept up on us again. Another whole year has passed but it hasn't changed how I feel about that day. Some have said that oh, by now surely you should have gotten over it after all it's been 4 years. The answer is I don't think I ever will. I have been thinking a lot about that day, where I signed the consent forms for them to take you and operate on you. To either save or take your life. That day was the worst of my life, the unknown certainty of whether you would come back up again. I held you as they put you to sleep. They gave me your dummy as they took you from me and laid you on the operating table as if you weighed nothing. I couldn't even kiss you goodbye in case it was the last time. That's why I won't ever get over it and those who have been in the

The time Fajita night resulted in having a baby in a bath.

The newest Cockerill Do you all remember my ever so optimistic natural birth plan? You can read it here. However, spoiler alert, it didn’t happen. What did happen was something no one was expecting. Wednesday the 5 th July… a mundane sort of day spent cleaning the house and doing the weekly shop. With Greg going back to work the next day I was determined to make sure everything was ready for when this baby arrived! I was three days off my due date and still hadn’t had one single sign this baby was imminently coming. I had been receiving messages from quite a few people asking if baby was here yet. I was getting fed up as everything I had tried to induce labour failed miserably and every morning for the last two weeks I woke up disappointed I wasn’t in labour! I gave up, walking didn’t help, pineapple made me sick and I was beginning to tire of the raspberry leaf tea. This baby was staying put. In the evening I put Elijah bed, and we began to settle down for the eveni

The one with Elijah's heart surgery.

We were back. April 22-28 2015, a year ago this weekend. In just two short weeks since we last went down to London. We had to go down the day before and check in and have another blood test. As all of the forms had been signed last time, we were out again within an hour or so. Back to the same family accommodation, in a different room and with a lot less luggage. Something felt different this time, although I didn't want to believe it was going ahead in the event it was cancelled again, deep down I knew it would be. The morning of the surgery I knew how I would feel as we had been through this all before. I didn't want to go out for a meal so we ate in the hotel room watching ch5 rubbish after Elijah went down in the travel cot. Its odd that through the whole pre admission, cancelled op and the actual operation I can remember what shit we watched on TV and what we ate for tea that night. One of those weird things that just sticks in your head. Sort of like when you rememb